Sunday, June 29, 2014

My All Time Favorite Childhood Meal - Tunafish Casserole


My Mom used to make this recipe for me ALL the time when I was little.  It was my absolute favorite.  I believe she got the recipe from a church cookbook, but I'm not sure what church or even how long ago. Normally I cook this in a glass casserole dish about 8x8, but in this case I only had a metal pan available and it worked just as well.  Not only is this quick and easy to make, but it's also budget friendly!  Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Ingredients:

  • Can of Tuna, drained
  • Can of Cream of Chicken Soup (or Cream of Mushroom)
  • 1 Cup Cheddar, shredded (I prefer Sharp)
  • 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
  • 8 ounces Elbow Noodles, cooked according to package directions
  • 1 Sleeve Saltine Crackers, crushed 
  • 3 Tbsp Butter

1.  Preheat oven to 350.
2.  While your noodles are cooking, in a casserole dish combine Tuna, Cream of Chicken Soup, Cheddar Cheese, and Onion.

3.  Melt Butter in Frying Pan and add Crushed Crackers, stirring continuously on Medium Heat until browned.

4.  Once noodles are cooked, stir into soup mixture.  Smooth evenly.
5.  Top casserole with crushed crackers
6.  Bake for 30 mins.  


Update:  I'm on a healthy living track and I made a healthier version.  It turned out just as great.  See below for alternate ingredients and nutrition info.
    • 1.00 large, Onions, raw
    • 224.00 g (56g / 1/2 cup dry), Elbow Macaroni Pasta
    • 1.00 container (1 3/10 cup condenseds ea.), Healthy Request Cream of Chicken
    • 0.94 cup (28g), Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese
    • 1.00 container (4 oz drained (1/4 c) ea.), Chunk Light Tuna In Water (5oz)
    • 1.00 Tbsp, Unsalted Butter
    • 15.00 crackers, Ritz Original Crackers
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 6.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 309
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 11 g18 %
    Saturated Fat 5 g25 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 30 mg10 %
    Sodium 391 mg16 %
    Potassium 310 mg9 %
    Total Carbohydrate 40 g13 %
    Dietary Fiber 2 g7 %
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 14 g28 %
    Vitamin A9 %
    Vitamin C3 %
    Calcium14 %
    Iron9 %

No comments:

Post a Comment